English Educator | 英语讲师
- Role Tutors
Educator specializing in English Language and ELL
Bachelor of Arts, With Distinction, University of Toronto
TESOL Inservice Diploma, Vancouver Community College
TESL Canada Federation Professional Certificate, Level Two
Anne’s focus at KEY is on promoting strong foundational language and literacy skills in elementary grade and ELL students. To help children master the mechanics of language and make it automatic, Anne likes to integrate the skills and use
- children’s natural curiosity and sense of humour to motivate them; and
- multi-sensory activities for fun and effectiveness in activating the brain’s memory pathways for retained learning.
As a former writer, editor, and desktop publisher, Anne turned her love of language into love of teaching language while volunteering in the Vancouver School Board’s Adult Education (ESL) Tutoring Room. She trained as a TESOL instructor in 2000, and for over a decade taught grammar, reading, and integrated skills in international language schools, ultimately teaching the rigorous Cambridge First Certificate in English exam preparation classes, plus TOEFL and IELTS.
In 2012, Anne trained with the BC One-to-One Literacy Association to work with struggling early-grade readers, and was a volunteer tutor in Vancouver elementary schools for five years, helping young children achieve their potential and develop a love of reading.
With her training and experience, Anne brings to KEY the skilled ability to
- promote early reading confidence and proficiency;
- guide advancing readers with recommended quality books and novels to enrich their literary skills;
- teach pronunciation with professional knowledge to enhance reading out loud, speaking, and listening;
- use personalized strategies for taking the mystery out of grammar;
- make vocabulary acquisition natural, entertaining and useful with creative mnemonic devices and multi-sensory activities combining sights/imagery, sounds/voice, and whole-body action.
Anne brought her experience to KEY in 2014, and it has been her greatest pleasure seeing KEY’s youngsters there gain confidence and enthusiasm in their growing language skills.